CCM All Star Review at No Greater Love 2019

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

CCM All Star Review at No Greater Love 2019

Post by George Harrison » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:14 pm

I drove from northern B.C. to the No Greater Love festival in Cochrane alberta on the 11th, it was a great experience. Here is a quick review of the show.

The day started at 11:00, with collective worship. Next, Jason Fowler took the stage. Even though it was only him and his drummer, he had was very energetic and put on a great show. He played some not yet released songs and told his testimony during the middle of the set; it lasted a while and was very moving. Then, BHALEY ( formerly drummer for TobyMac) did his set, which I did not listen to because it was rap :lol: BHALEY appeared and gave talks several more times during the day in the period between other bands sets, he was entertaining. Sanctus Real came next. They were very good at what they did; however I am not particularly interested in modern rock/ pop-rock. Then, Manic Drive (from toronto) took the stage. They played upbeat danceable electro-rock, complete with crazy dance moves and a dramatic entrance. They were quite fun and the tunes were catchy, also their singer had a great sarcastic sense of humour which made them enjoyable to watch. I do think their lyrics were slightly poor and perhaps somewhat cliche but at least they didn't take themselves seriously and were a lot of fun; they were one of the best bands there that day IMHO.

Next was I Am They, an american band. I found their style of ccm pop rock somewhat boring but I am sure some would appreciate them more. Then came Citizen Way; while once again I found that style of music not particularly interesting I did quite like the lead singer; he mentioned that he was a big Petra fan and that Petra helped lead him to Christ when he was young. We are Messengers was next, a (presumably) Irish pop/rock band. Their frontman was entertaining and the band had a great message.

This is how I would rank the bands based on how much I enjoyed them:
1. CCM All Star Review
2. Jason Fowler
3. Manic Drive
4. Citizen Way
5. We Are Messengers
6. Sanctus Real
7. I am They
8. BHALEY

Finally, it was CCM All Star Review's turn. This was the set list:
Independence Day
I am on the Rock
Crazy times
Heroes (I believe it was a K Max or DC talk song.. I could have the wrong name)
Heart was always in it ( I am not entirely sure what this song was called)
Jekyll & Hyde
Love song for a Saviour
In the light
In to Jesus
Let the day begin
I still believe
Flood
Freedom?
Jesus freak
Beyond Belief
Rise Up

John sang the most, with K max singing his songs and also DC Talk songs, and Dan Haseltine singing Jars of Clay. Billy Smiley sang part of one song also. Several times they sang duets; for example K max sang the 2nd verse of I Still Believe and John sang the rap part of Jesus Freak. They all played very well together and sounded fabulous, cracking jokes with each other during the show. The Citizen Way singer was on stage some of the time taking pictures with the band and joining in on the singing; he looked absolutely delighted to be on stage with them. I can tell he is a big Petra fan :lol:
All the bands made themselves available for signing and pictures during the day also.

I enjoyed All Star Review a great deal, John can sing just as well as he ever could, Kevin and Dan and everyone else was great, they played perfectly and the songs sounded so big and powerful. None of the other bands could hold a candle to them. I highly recommend that people go and see The Union of Sinners and Saints, CCM All Star Review or John Schlitt.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Re: CCM All Star Review at No Greater Love 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:06 pm

His heart was always in it is a White heart song. (One of my personal favorites) And the other one you were wondering about couldve been Sing your Freedom, by Whiteheart also not sure. And I am definitely looking out for concerts :) Oh, and btw, I feel the same about rap and all the modern rock and the electronic music stuff you were talking about. I know exactly what you mean 8)
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:06 pm
His heart was always in it is a White heart song. (One of my personal favorites) And the other one you were wondering about couldve been Sing your Freedom, by Whiteheart also not sure. And I am definitely looking out for concerts :) Oh, and btw, I feel the same about rap and all the modern rock and the electronic music stuff you were talking about. I know exactly what you mean 8)
Yeah it must have been sing your freedom. I can't stand rap, and most modern rock with the exception of some alternative and a few other styles. I just didn't like some bands because I'm bored of modern ccm pop rock :P
0 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:18 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:28 pm
Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:06 pm
Yeah it must have been sing your freedom. I can't stand rap, and most modern rock with the exception of some alternative and a few other styles. I just didn't like some bands because I'm bored of modern ccm pop rock :P
Yessssss! Never in my life have I been more understood!! I am beyond bored of the new stuff and I hate rap; I have never liked it and I never will. Nothing better than 80s glam rock, Christian or not, imo
1 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1981

Post by Progfan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:58 pm

Sounds like half of that concert was really amazing!
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Progfan wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:58 pm
Sounds like half of that concert was really amazing!
All of it was if you are into that style of music :lol: The bands there were all some of the most popular Christian ones.
0 x