Christian bands & their secular counterparts

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Re: Christian bands & their secular counterparts

Post by sickasadog » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:37 am

As for Stryper, their guitar tone reminds me of Hysteria-era Def Leppard while Michael Sweet's voice is reminds me of early Geoff Tate (Queensryche) or Bruce Dickenson (Iron Maiden) but still very unique.

As for Rez, I definitely hear Grace Slick in Wendy's vocals, while Glenn Kaiser's voice is hard to compare. Maybe Joe Cocker, but Glenn is much better in my opinion.

Here are some other comparisons:

Daniel Amos - Talking Heads (except for their 70's stuff, which is more like a cross between Eagles [country-tinged] and Queen [opera])
Bloodgood - Iron Maiden and Whitesnake
Barnabas - Pat Benatar and Heart
Daniel Band - Triumph?
King's X - Some people don't consider this a Christian band, but I find it difficult to compare their sound
Larry Norman - ?
Randy Stonehill - I hear some James Taylor in the mellow stuff
Steve Taylor - Elvis Costello?
1 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:59 am

sickasadog wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:37 am
As for Stryper, their guitar tone reminds me of Hysteria-era Def Leppard while Michael Sweet's voice is reminds me of early Geoff Tate (Queensryche) or Bruce Dickenson (Iron Maiden) but still very unique.

As for Rez, I definitely hear Grace Slick in Wendy's vocals, while Glenn Kaiser's voice is hard to compare. Maybe Joe Cocker, but Glenn is much better in my opinion.

Here are some other comparisons:

Daniel Amos - Talking Heads (except for their 70's stuff, which is more like a cross between Eagles [country-tinged] and Queen [opera])
Bloodgood - Iron Maiden and Whitesnake
Barnabas - Pat Benatar and Heart
Daniel Band - Triumph?
King's X - Some people don't consider this a Christian band, but I find it difficult to compare their sound
Larry Norman - ?
Randy Stonehill - I hear some James Taylor in the mellow stuff
Steve Taylor - Elvis Costello?
Hahaha I wonder if my sister would consider that first match valid, Iron Maiden is her favorite band & she likes Queensrÿche & Def Leppard a lot. ( I like em all too but not as much as her) I never in a million years would've come up with that but I guess I could kinda see it, more than anyone else I could think of for them. Bloodgood, yes, Iron Maiden with Bruce, and I guess idk what Whitesnake really sounds like a whole lot. As for Rez I can't really hear Wendy's unless there is/are a/some song(s) where she sings I need to dig into their stuff a little bit more. I hear Kip Winger's voice a lot. I don't really know anyone else you listed below though, and I dunno who Larry Norman sounds like. Or I've heard of some of the ppl below but not exactly listened to them, There are 2 Da songs that I have heard- Darn floor- big bite, which I don't like, and Fathers arms which I do, and I don't know what Triumph sounds like, so with those ones I'm not of much help. I should really listen to more of certain people; it just takes so much time.
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead

Post by sickasadog » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:30 am

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:59 am
There are 2 Da songs that I have heard- Darn floor- big bite, which I don't like, and Fathers arms which I do, and I don't know what Triumph sounds like, so with those ones I'm not of much help. I should really listen to more of certain people; it just takes so much time.
DA has so many different styles, but they are soooo worth listening to. They are the type of band that isn't instantly catchy, but hold your interest for much longer. They have an incredible amount of depth. Here are some songs that I recommend that cover a huge range of styles (all songs are on YouTube):

Ain't Gonna Fight It
Broken Ladders to Glory
Grace is the Smell of Rain
Noelle
When Everyone Wore Hats
The Pool
Sanctuary
Mall (All Over the World)
Alarma!
Through the Speakers
Youth with a Machine
If You Want To
I Love You #19

They've released many concept albums that deserve to be listened to in their entirety. These are my favorites:

Horrendous Disc
Alarma!
Doppelganger
Vox Humana
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:33 am

sickasadog wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:30 am
There are 2 Da songs that I have heard- Darn floor- big bite, which I don't like, and Fathers arms which I do, and I don't know what Triumph sounds like, so with those ones I'm not of much help. I should really listen to more of certain people; it just takes so much time.
DA has so many different styles, but they are soooo worth listening to. They are the type of band that isn't instantly catchy, but hold your interest for much longer. They have an incredible amount of depth. Here are some songs that I recommend that cover a huge range of styles (all songs are on YouTube):

Ain't Gonna Fight It
Broken Ladders to Glory
Noelle
When Everyone Wore Hats
The Pool
Sanctuary
Alarma!
Through the Speakers
Youth with a Machine
If You Want To
I Love You #19

They've released many concept albums that deserve to be listened to in their entirety. These are my favorites:

Horrendous Disc
Alarma!
Doppelganger
Vox Humana
Ok :lol: I'll check em out. Another Bruce type voice is Sacred Warrior
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:34 am

I have heard they have a ton of different styles
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:23 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:05 pm

Don't think Rez sounds much like winger though,
So I was listening to a little bit of Winger just to get a better understanding of what they sounded like, (ended up liking them) and although his voice only really sounds like Glen's in Down Incognito and one other, slightly, (can't remember which one right now) their music and slightly his voice (kind of sometimes) sounds like Rez. Definitely their music at least though, well, more than anyone else I could think of.
2 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:13 pm

sickasadog wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:30 am

Ain't Gonna Fight It
Broken Ladders to Glory
Noelle
When Everyone Wore Hats
The Pool
Sanctuary
Alarma!
Through the Speakers
Youth with a Machine
If You Want To
I Love You #19

Horrendous Disc
Alarma!
Doppelganger
Vox Humana
I just listened to them a little the other day, and they certainly are unusual! Such crazy instruments, arrangements and melodies... Weird and unusual sounding. I like it though
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:01 pm

I listened to the list you gave me, sickasadog, and you have now convinced me that they actually are pretty good :) I don't know if I can ever learn to like Darn floor though.... But thank you for giving me another band to listen to 8) :) I am sad that Vox Humana isn't on Spotify :cry: Oh well, it just seems that nothing I like is on there anymore :lol: :|
1 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Dä

Post by sickasadog » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:32 am

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:01 pm
I listened to the list you gave me, sickasadog, and you have now convinced me that they actually are pretty good :) I don't know if I can ever learn to like Darn floor though.... But thank you for giving me another band to listen to 8) :) I am sad that Vox Humana isn't on Spotify :cry: Oh well, it just seems that nothing I like is on there anymore :lol: :|
Glad you like them. They are very different, but pretty cool once you catch on to what they're doing. Sadly, Classic CCM is quite obscure, so it will be hard to find many of these albums on mainstream services, except for YouTube. In the 90s and early 2000's it was very difficult to find this music anywhere, because it was mostly out of print. In the 2000's some of this music was re-released on CD in limited runs by small music companies and then fans worked to make them available via YouTube and other, earlier methods. Some people have made recordings from old vinyl, cassette and CD copies and shared them online, because they were never re-released. Some bands did make songs available for purchase online in MP3 format from their own website.

I'm glad that we can pass along this wonderful music to a new generation of fans like you!
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:05 am

Yes: ) I bought a Back To The Street CD for $21.50. I feel bad for the next person who will have to buy it for $33 but it's such a great album and I don't understand why it's so spend?, I mean, I saw one for $135 and who, even the biggest fan of Petra, (I'm sure all of us on here would argue who that is) would buy one for that much money. But anyways, yes, in the future I'm gonna collect all of the Petra albums because you can't really beat CDs, they're just so much more fun that digital music imo
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

BTTS cd

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 am

Yes: ) I bought a Back To The Street CD for $21.50. I feel bad for the next person who will have to buy it for $33 but it's such a great album and I don't understand why it's so spendy? I mean, I saw one for $135 and who, even the biggest fan of Petra, (I'm sure all of us on here would argue who that is) would buy one for that much money. But anyways, yes, in the future I'm gonna collect all of the Petra albums because you can't really beat CDs, they're just so much more fun that digital music imo
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Re: BTTS cd

Post by George Harrison » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:53 am

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 am
Yes: ) I bought a Back To The Street CD for $21.50. I feel bad for the next person who will have to buy it for $33 but it's such a great album and I don't understand why it's so spendy?
Maybe it is because they don't make them anymore
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Could be but still :roll:
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Re: BTTS cd

Post by zman7720000 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 am
Yes: ) I bought a Back To The Street CD for $21.50. I feel bad for the next person who will have to buy it for $33 but it's such a great album and I don't understand why it's so spendy? I mean, I saw one for $135 and who, even the biggest fan of Petra, (I'm sure all of us on here would argue who that is) would buy one for that much money. But anyways, yes, in the future I'm gonna collect all of the Petra albums because you can't really beat CDs, they're just so much more fun that digital music imo
I prefer LPs
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:47 pm

I would love some and the ones for back to the street are in much bigger quantities and a lot cheaper than the CDs, even than normal LPs, but I don't have a record player so there really isn't much of a point
0 x