Christian bands & their secular counterparts

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Re: Christian bands & their secular counterparts

Post by sickasadog » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:47 pm
I would love some and the ones for back to the street are in much bigger quantities and a lot cheaper than the CDs, even than normal LPs, but I don't have a record player so there really isn't much of a point
You probably have a relative or neighbor that has a record player laying around that they don't use anymore that they would give you or sell cheap. Doesn't hurt to ask around about one.

I think the CDs you're looking for are out of print (again) and are unlikely to be produced again due to the decline of CDs. I was very lucky to find the CDs that I did find back in the day. I agree that it's nice to have a physical album, but that's getting tougher to find these days. I know you're younger, so it's tough to just drive somewhere, but if you find a used music store, you might get lucky and find some of their CDs. It will be hit and miss, but sometimes the search is the fun part.
3 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:34 pm

Yes, they are but I think I will be able to succeed in my mission of collecting all the Petra albums from Back to the Street-Wake up Call at least, since I'm about halfway there already :) :) You guys think of things better than I do for myself! :lol: I never really thought about asking around for an old record player, I'll have to try it. :)

Oh, and a town not too far from me has a CD shop and I've bought two things from there already. They have some Petra, and things like that. So that's what i save up for these days :mrgreen:
1 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:46 am

Not just CD or record shops. Go to thrift shops and antique shops. They can be a gold mine. I've been to some that have huge record and CD collections for sale. Some guys are really serious about having it well organized, so things are quick and easy to find. Other places you just have to take the time to carefully look through all of it. Thrift stores often have a lot of CDs. You can find lots of interesting stuff there. Yard sales is another good one. I've found yard sales where someone was into Christian music and they have quite the collection they are getting rid of.
If you do eBay at all, you can save searches for things you are looking for, and get an email notification anytime something new is posted for sale.
2 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:12 am

That's a good idea. Next time anyone in my family is gonna go to a thrift shop I'm going with :lol: I suppose I'll look at garage sales and stuff too although there probably won't be a lot around lately anymore. I don't understand why someone would give up all of their CD's, but that's their choice and I suppose, like my mom had tons and tons of tapes but she sold or pawned most of them when she moved 😕.
1 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:47 am

I think it's a combination of people not listening to it anymore, and people who have it in digital form. They don't see the need to keep the CDs. I've seen lots of Petra and Petra related stuff over years. Pawn shops are another good place to look. There were a lot of pawn shops around when I lived in Grand Rapids. I'm sure they exist in Central PA, but I can't say that I've seen one.
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:45 pm

I spose, but idk how you just 'stop listening to something' or prefer it in digital form, but that's me. I wonder if there are any in Minnesota: ) My mom pawned or sold most of her old CD's and tapes, I bet that would be kind of sad. She lived in Seattle then. That was probably mid 90s.
0 x

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1981

Post by Progfan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:27 pm

Sometimes you can find musical treasures at Goodwill stores. Finding good CDs there is kind of hit and miss, but it’s good to check every now and then. I notice lately that there doesn’t seem to be as many CDs showing up at pawn shops compared to several years ago. I think they have decided that they are just not worth anything to a lot of people anymore. I still prefer the old neighborhood record store for used CDs, although nobody around here has ever stocked much vintage CCM at all. Usually have to resort to Amazon for that, but sometimes it’s a waiting game to find things for decent prices.
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Progfan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:27 pm
Sometimes you can find musical treasures at Goodwill stores. Finding good CDs there is kind of hit and miss, but it’s good to check every now and then. I notice lately that there doesn’t seem to be as many CDs showing up at pawn shops compared to several years ago. I think they have decided that they are just not worth anything to a lot of people anymore. I still prefer the old neighborhood record store for used CDs, although nobody around here has ever stocked much vintage CCM at all. Usually have to resort to Amazon for that, but sometimes it’s a waiting game to find things for decent prices.
My sister and I like to check goodwill for CDs/tapes whenever our mom goes there: )
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:56 pm

I found a website which had some charts: https://www.metalforjesus.org/ref.html
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:48 am

I think this'll be very useful, thank you! :)
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:45 pm

Anyone else vaguely see Steve Taylor + Cheap Trick? I know he's the 'Weird Al' of Christian music but, I'm also kind of seeing very slight similarities between them
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:31 pm

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:45 pm
Anyone else vaguely see Steve Taylor + Cheap Trick? I know he's the 'Weird Al' of Christian music but, I'm also kind of seeing very slight similarities between them
Are you talking about Steve Taylor and the perfect foil, or just Steve Taylor solo stuff?
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:30 pm

I don't know :lol: :lol: is it his solo stuff when he sings Meltdown? Or, I want to be a clone? Cause I don't really have a lot of his stuff exactly.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:50 pm

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:30 pm
I don't know :lol: :lol: is it his solo stuff when he sings Meltdown? Or, I want to be a clone? Cause I don't really have a lot of his stuff exactly.
No clue what those are :lol:
I have only listened to him with the perfect foil, so idk. They were good though
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:42 am

I don't know Steve Taylor and the perfect foil I only know him by himself in like, the 80s. The songs I know are: Whatcha Gonna Do When You're Numbers Up, Meltdown(At Madame Tussauds), Svengali, & The Finish Line I don't know very much though.
1 x