A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Favorite Daniel Band songs

Post by sickasadog » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) started a Daniel Amos topic, so I thought I would start a DANIEL BAND topic.

Daniel Band were a hard rock band that put out 5 decent albums in the 80s. I've always thought they were underrated. For those of you that know them, what are your favorite Daniel Band songs?

For those of you that want to check them out, here is a list of what I think are their best tracks from each album. Have a listen if you have time, and post what you think:

On Rock (1982):
He's the Creator
I'm Sorry
You Don't Need the Blues
Free from Sin
Two Roads

Straight Ahead (1983):
Power of Love
Here I Am
Reality

Run from the Darkness (1984)
Don't Give Up
Run from the Darkness
Walk on the Water
Never Gonna Die
Sixteen
Let's Get Ready
Walls
It's Over

Rise Up (1986)
Bethel
Rise Up
Call His Name

Running Out of Time (1987)
Things Are Changin'
Running Out of Time
2 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Re: Favorite Daniel Band songs

Post by George Harrison » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:36 pm

I thought they were pretty good. The members came from near where I live in Canada, the singer was from a city about an hour away from here. My Dad uses to go see them in the 80's in Vancouver.

Here are some favs:
He's the creator
Free from Sin
Cal His Name
Bethel
Hold On
Long Time
My Children
Power of Love
Run from the Darkness
Sixteen
Undercover Christian

I haven't listened to them quite enough to pick a top 5😂
I think on an album or two the production could have been better. Lyrics are somewhat simplistic but not bad. Overall it's the guitar work that I like the most.
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:23 pm

I'm Sorry
He's the Creator
& You Don't Need the Blues :mrgreen:
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:23 pm
I'm Sorry
He's the Creator
I just noticed that this forms a sentence...

"I'm sorry, He's the Creator, and you don't need the blues!"
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:22 am

:lol: :lol: Haha yeah! Good one lol :lol:
1 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead

Post by sickasadog » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:04 pm

I'm Sorry
He's the Creator
Those are the first three I listed 8) Coincidence, or are you working your way through the list? :mrgreen:

That's great, either way!
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead

Post by sickasadog » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:07 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:36 pm

I think on an album or two the production could have been better. Lyrics are somewhat simplistic but not bad. Overall it's the guitar work that I like the most.
Yeah, I totally agree with you on these things. Just imagine how great a song like Run from the Darkness could have been with great production?

Like you, I also love the song Long Time, just forgot about it until you mentioned it.
1 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:47 pm

Yes! To be fair though Christian music at the time was less popular and often would have had a smaller budget I suppose, so a number of bands had slightly sub par production. Even some petra albums would sound better with better production. For example Beat the System to Unseen power era Petra. While those albums have great songwriting they woul be better if they had a production more like Jekyll and Hyde or The Greater Cause or The Union of Sinners and Saints. Still my favourite era of Petra though.

I love the long melodic solo on run from the Darkness. 8)
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:54 pm

sickasadog wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:04 pm
I'm Sorry
He's the Creator
Those are the first three I listed 8) Coincidence, or are you working your way through the list? :mrgreen:

That's great, either way!
Coincidence because I forgot what your favorites were while I was writing mine 8)
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 am

I liked Daniel Band back in the day. I only had the Rise Up album. I spent many hours at the Christian bookstore listening to demos. I heard Bethel from Rise Up, and I was hooked. I bought a bunch of tapes from various christian metal bands that ended up sitting in a travel case untouched for awhile. Side note: one of those was a real gem. Mastedon's It's A jungle Out There. I put it away because I didn't like the guys voice on the first song.
I went through a period where I was pulling those tapes back out and giving them a second chance. Daniel Band was one of them. I heard My Children and fell in love with it, I listened to it nonstop on a flight to the Caribbean. That song, and Right Heart. I really enjoyed the guitar sound and the riffs on Right Heart. That song could hang with anything in the mainstream. Any time I listen to those songs, the Mastedon stuff, or any song that really hit me, it takes me right back to where I was when I first fell in love with them.
The days of the Sony Walkman. There was everybody else making great Christian rock and metal, and then there was the Greek God Ken Tamplin. After really getting into Shout's In Your Face, I thought he was on another level. Great memories.
3 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:30 pm

gman wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 am
I liked Daniel Band back in the day. I only had the Rise Up album. I spent many hours at the Christian bookstore listening to demos. I heard Bethel from Rise Up, and I was hooked. I bought a bunch of tapes from various christian metal bands that ended up sitting in a travel case untouched for awhile. Side note: one of those was a real gem. Mastedon's It's A jungle Out There. I put it away because I didn't like the guys voice on the first song.
I went through a period where I was pulling those tapes back out and giving them a second chance. Daniel Band was one of them. I heard My Children and fell in love with it, I listened to it nonstop on a flight to the Caribbean. That song, and Right Heart. I really enjoyed the guitar sound and the riffs on Right Heart. That song could hang with anything in the mainstream. Any time I listen to those songs, the Mastedon stuff, or any song that really hit me, it takes me right back to where I was when I first fell in love with them.
The days of the Sony Walkman. There was everybody else making great Christian rock and metal, and then there was the Greek God Ken Tamplin. After really getting into Shout's In Your Face, I thought he was on another level. Great memories.
Mastedon! Yeah I know them. It was John and Dino Elefante's band for a while... They did another album about 10 years ago called "Revolution of Mind/3" That was phenomenal. Beautiful production and great songs. So was John's album On My Way to the Sun which came out a few years later
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:30 pm

The way you went through a period of just listening to a bunch of that stuff reminds me of myself- I started listening to Stryper in October of last year and after them I got into Whitecross in January and all through March I got into a bunch of different Classic Christian Rock bands and songs. In April I became a huge Petra fan and now they're my favorite. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I listened to only them nonstop and that obsession lasted until around the time I joined thepetrazone in June. It was because I watched this \/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufk2I14v_Rc
And around that time my sister found a compilation of that stuff at the CD shop so I bought it, and before I listened to the CD itself I listened to the songs I didn't know- one of them was by Daniel Amos and I hated it- I wasn't gonna give em a chance. Now I love them! The song too has grown on me: ) I also started listening to CCR.net after someone on the zone suggested it and now I have so much more it's amazing :)
1 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:34 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:30 pm
gman wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 am
Mastedon! Yeah I know them. It was John and Dino Elefante's band for a while... They did another album about 10 years ago called "Revolution of Mind/3" That was phenomenal. Beautiful production and great songs. So was John's album On My Way to the Sun which came out a few years later
I listened a bit to Revo and On My Way. Both very good. The original Mastedon albums are fantastic. So much good stuff. His first 3 solo discs are also great. The heavy layered sound on Defying Gravity is awesome, and the songs are really good. But, I have a strong fondness for Corridors. The bright, clean production suits it well, and the songwriting is stellar. And Dan Needham is superb on the drums.
1 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead

Post by sickasadog » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:30 pm
The way you went through a period of just listening to a bunch of that stuff reminds me of myself- I started listening to Stryper in October of last year and after them I got into Whitecross in January and all through March I got into a bunch of different Classic Christian Rock bands and songs. In April I became a huge Petra fan and now they're my favorite. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I listened to only them nonstop and that obsession lasted until around the time I joined thepetrazone in June. It was because I watched this \/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufk2I14v_Rc
And around that time my sister found a compilation of that stuff at the CD shop so I bought it, and before I listened to the CD itself I listened to the songs I didn't know- one of them was by Daniel Amos and I hated it- I wasn't gonna give em a chance. Now I love them! The song too has grown on me: ) I also started listening to CCR.net after someone on the zone suggested it and now I have so much more it's amazing :)
I enjoy hearing stories about people discovering music that I love. Glad to hear that you are loving Daniel Amos so much. Most people just assume it's some guy actually named Daniel Amos :lol:
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead

Post by sickasadog » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:33 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:47 pm
Yes! To be fair though Christian music at the time was less popular and often would have had a smaller budget I suppose, so a number of bands had slightly sub par production. Even some petra albums would sound better with better production. For example Beat the System to Unseen power era Petra. While those albums have great songwriting they woul be better if they had a production more like Jekyll and Hyde or The Greater Cause or The Union of Sinners and Saints. Still my favourite era of Petra though.

I love the long melodic solo on run from the Darkness. 8)
Agreed on everything you've posted here 8)
1 x