What's up with all this Christian Rap hype?

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

What's up with all this Christian Rap hype?

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Seriously, why do 'pumped' places like Big Churches and Christian camp(s) always play Christian rap? It's so annoying and all sounds the same! You could get a lot of people just as jumping by playing 'All Fired Up', I mean come on, you can't even understand their message, and it doesn't sound very happy IMO. Sorry if you like rap but just seeing if anyone else here sharing my thoughts. :roll: :|
I guess it just makes Petra & Guardian etc. sound all the more welcoming when I finally get to hear them again at home! :lol:
1 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Re: What's up with all this Christian Rap hype?

Post by George Harrison » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 pm

Well they say it's the most popular genre right now. Rock kinda started dying out in the late 80's, although it kept going in different forms for a long time, like grunge, alt, punk revival. But the last decade has seen almost no rock on the charts unfortunately. At least rock still has a large fanbase, even if it's not as mainstream. It will never die it totally. Even Beethoven, Hayden and Tchaikovsky are still popular after all
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 pm

That reminds me, Kanye West's recent conversion to Christianity and his new album may help Christian raps popularity, you never know
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:24 am

Yeah. . . I feel so bad for kids or any people who don't like rock and I also feel bad for rock itself :| But yeah. . . Oooooookay is there a name for when something is brought up or you hear of it once and you've never heard of it before and then all of a sudden it's everywhere?! Just yesterday my pastor- he's going through the book ofJohn and it was about the apostles 'Endorsing' Jesus to each other- and he said that he's kind of skeptical about when celebrities 'become Christians' which I'll admit. . . is me too. I do believe Blackie Lawless did though. But now I'm going to hear that Kanye West thing everywhere :shock: I know that's kinda different since it's news but when I was 8 I hadn't ever heard of O Holy Night idk why or how but I hadn't. Until my Grandma got a Michael Bolton Christmas CD :lol: :lol: Then it was on a movie we watched, then my sister sang it for a Christmas thing at the school, then it was absolutely everywhere, it was weird! And I know it's happened before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:29 am

George Harrison wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 pm
Well they say it's the most popular genre right now. Rock kinda started dying out in the late 80's, although it kept going in different forms for a long time, like grunge, alt, punk revival. But the last decade has seen almost no rock on the charts unfortunately. At least rock still has a large fanbase, even if it's not as mainstream. It will never die it totally. Even Beethoven, Hayden and Tchaikovsky are still popular after all
As I get older, I appreciate more and more musical styles, even rap. I'm not about to make any rap playlists, but a lot of songs that I "hated on" in my youth have now become quite listenable, sometimes enjoyable. Maybe I am mellower in my middle age, maybe I am just more comfortable in my own skin. My social circles are also way more diverse than when I was growing up in a small, rural town.
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead

Post by sickasadog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:38 am

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:24 am
Oooooookay is there a name for when something is brought up or you hear of it once and you've never heard of it before and then all of a sudden it's everywhere?! Just yesterday my pastor- he's going through the book ofJohn and it was about the apostles 'Endorsing' Jesus to each other- and he said that he's kind of skeptical about when celebrities 'become Christians' which I'll admit. . . is me too. I do believe Blackie Lawless did though. But now I'm going to hear that Kanye West thing everywhere :shock: I know that's kinda different since it's news but when I was 8 I hadn't ever heard of O Holy Night idk why or how but I hadn't. Until my Grandma got a Michael Bolton Christmas CD :lol: :lol: Then it was on a movie we watched, then my sister sang it for a Christmas thing at the school, then it was absolutely everywhere, it was weird! And I know it's happened before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Haha! That happens to all of us, believe me. It's totally weird when it happens though. Most of these coincidences are just coincidences. Sometimes, though, I will feel a nudging of the Holy Spirit to take an action or make a change in my heart. To me, that is part of the miracle of the universe.
1 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead

Post by sickasadog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:43 am

George Harrison wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 pm
That reminds me, Kanye West's recent conversion to Christianity and his new album may help Christian raps popularity, you never know
It will definitely get more exposure, but I'm not sure if it will be helpful, or just reinforce to many people that CCM is something to be ridiculed. Maybe some people could come to Christ as a result, but I wonder how Kanye would bear such a yoke. He already seems to have a messiah complex...
0 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:35 am

I guess, but still. Someday I'm gonna have a radio station that plays 70s-90s Christian Rock. 8)
1 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by George Harrison » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:39 pm

sickasadog wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:43 am
George Harrison wrote:
It will definitely get more exposure, but I'm not sure if it will be helpful, or just reinforce to many people that CCM is something to be ridiculed. Maybe some people could come to Christ as a result, but I wonder how Kanye would bear such a yoke. He already seems to have a messiah complex...
Yeah it depends on how genuine he is, he seems to be truly saved now, however time will tell.
2 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 pm

Yeah. . . Let's see if he stands the test of time :lol:
1 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead

Post by sickasadog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:44 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:39 pm
sickasadog wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:43 am
George Harrison wrote:
Yeah it depends on how genuine he is, he seems to be truly saved now
I hope he is
2 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Yeah, the more the merrier in God's Kingdom!
:)💛
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:13 pm

I personally can't stand rap or hip-hop, but my 15-year old son loves it. The only rap album I own is John Reuben's Are We There Yet? and only because I was good friends with Reuben's youth pastor and mentor who gave me a copy of the album for my birthday.

As for Kanye West, I think the dude needs to take a lesson from the Apostle Paul who spent several years after his Damascus experience testing and validating his theology with Jesus' disciples, and only after he was fully grounded did he step out in boldness and humility to preach the gospel. Mr. West, I'm afraid, is biting off far more than he is ready to chew.
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:24 pm

Yeah I agree
0 x