Christian bands & their secular counterparts

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Re: Christian bands & their secular counterparts

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:49 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:49 pm
Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:21 pm
Alternative is a good label too, thank you. Southern rock, country, but since VOL isn't country it's more of southern rock and Johnny Cash is both I'd put that since it covers it best I think. Folk/southern rock maybe??
I would suggest some more obscure Christian Bands but I wouldn't be able to compare them to any secular bands, not off the top of my head at least
Yeah, I know that's just it… I have a hard time thinking of bands to compare them to.
1 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 pm

Man this is an old post. I know so many more bands and artists now… I'm thinking of re-doing this, making it more accurate. It'll be called Christian Bands and Their Secular Counterparts 2.0, and I would still like more suggestions yet, if anyone has any more to offer. : )
2 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:50 am

Diehardpetrafan:) wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 pm
Man this is an old post. I know so many more bands and artists now… I'm thinking of re-doing this, making it more accurate. It'll be called Christian Bands and Their Secular Counterparts 2.0, and I would still like more suggestions yet, if anyone has any more to offer. : )
That'd be a great idea. I will see if I can think of any more
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:39 am

I haven't been putting much work into it, but I know a lot more artists than when I made this post so when I get around to it I'll be able to fill it in more. Thanks!
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:30 pm

To me, early Petra sounds like Journey, and later Petra sounds like Def Leppard. Petra still has their own sound, of course, but the similarities are certainly there. In fact, Louie's drumming style and technique reminds me a lot of Journey's Steve Smith. It's like they had the same drum instructor.

Stryper and Van Halen are kin, not surprising when you consider that Michael Sweet was inspired to start a Christian rock band while attending a Van Halen concert.

PFR is Beatles-esque at times, again, not a surprise when they state The Beatles as one of their musical influences.

Keith Green being a piano man likely has a lot in common with Elton John and Billy Joel, but I'm not especially familiar with the latter two.

Whitecross is practically a clone of Ratt.

Can't think of too many others of my favorites that have secular "soundalikes". Steve Taylor is unique. There's nobody else, Christian or secular, who sounds like him or has his razor sharp satirical wit. Third Day is good old fashioned southern rock, so I'm sure there's a secular counterpart, but I don't know who. White Heart seemed to have a different sound every album, so they can't be pinned down musically. Phil Keaggy is able to play such an incredible range of styles that he doesn't sound like any one artist, except for his singing voice which bears an uncanny resemblance to Paul McCartney. Resurrection Band seems to have a style that's entirely their own. Larry Norman is, well, he's just Larry Norman.
Last edited by Mountain Man on Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:58 am

I get what you're saying! And that's actually cool because then people aren't just looking for the same thing once they start listening to Christian artists because they are still people with unique brains who can create their own type of stuff as well and who still know how to be their own artist.
1 x

Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:51 pm

So once I get the time (it's difficult to get the time :roll:)
I'm going to work on this, but instead I think I'll do the bands by genre, with a list of bands in each genre in both sides. It'll be a little less specific, but more helpful I think. Actually I don't know why I haven't thought of it before
1 x