Back to The Street recording dates

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987

Back to The Street recording dates

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:37 am

I have seen some comments here suggesting that BTTS was recorded (minus vocals) somtime in 85 during the BTS tour. Some even suggesting the songs were meant for Greg. In the DVD of the making of BTTS, John Schlitt gives his son a tour of the apartment where the band was staying. He mentions living as "five guys together".
Louie doesn't appear in the DVD, but Bob, Mark and John L do. I think Louie laid down his tracks first and left LA.
But if all the music was recorded in 85, and John S says its May of 86 and the release date is July/August 86, if the music was done previously, why 4-5 guys in an apartment, and why was Bob there if they were just recording vocals in 86???
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: Back to The Street recording dates

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:55 am

As I understand it, the music for Back to the Street was recorded after Greg had already announced his departure. Bob might have originally written it with Greg in mind, but by the time they got to the studio, he knew somebody else would be singing it.

Is this one of the albums that Louie was actually allowed to play on? At any rate, you're correct, Louie's involvement was probably long done by the time they started laying down vocal tracks.

The reason Bob was there for the vocal sessions is because, first of all, he was/is the principle member of Petra and lead songwriter/composer, so it would make sense for the "boss" to be there for all phases of production Second, Bob sings background vocals along with the other members of the band (minus Louie), so it's not at all surprising he was there in that capacity.

So why did John say "five guys living together"? I have no idea. I've not seen the behind-the-scenes video, so I'm not familiar with the context of that statement, and who knows, Louie might have been there at some point for additional recording and moral support.
1 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:52 am

Well, John S clearly says its 86. Also, the video features Mark, John L and John E. Recording bgvs, without Bob.
My first thought was what you mentioned about Bob being there because its his band, but they always said they hated recording in LA. Why stick afound if you dont need to? Thanks for the response. BTTS is my fave Schmitt era album. Love Mark's playing and singing.
1 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:54 am

Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:52 am
Well, John S clearly says its 86. Also, the video features Mark, John L and John E. Recording bgvs, without Bob.
My first thought was what you mentioned about Bob being there because its his band, but they always said they hated recording in LA. Why stick afound if you dont need to? Thanks for the response. BTTS is my fave Schmitt era album. Love Mark's playing and singing.
Meant Schlitt...bad at type/texting
0 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:05 am

Rusty wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:52 am
It's my absolute favorite album :) :) I have seen a little bit of the video, but I'm not completely educated on the whole of Petra's history, so I guess I wouldn't be of much help, but BTTS is my favorite album of Petra's and all albums 😊
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:44 pm

To those of us who were fans of Petra throughout the early-80s, Back to the Street was a bit of a shock. It was an edgier sound than their previous few albums, and Petra sort of broke the tradition of bands replacing lead singers with a new guy who sounded almost exactly like the old guy. You could definitely tell that they were entering a new era.
1 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:44 pm
To those of us who were fans of Petra throughout the early-80s, Back to the Street was a bit of a shock. It was an edgier sound than their previous few albums, and Petra sort of broke the tradition of bands replacing lead singers with a new guy who sounded almost exactly like the old guy. You could definitely tell that they were entering a new era.
It reminds me of This Means Wars actually, except a bit less heavy
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:00 pm

A lot of people think BTTS was originally intended for Greg as lead but that was never the case. Bob(it was totally Bob's decision to let Greg go) knew even before Petra went out on tour for Beat The System that it would be Greg's final album with the band, the Back To The Street concept was not even thought of as of yet. Back To The Street was completely tracked without vocals in August 1985; John Schlitt came in at that time and sang "Alter Ego" for the audition to be in the band, but John was not told he was hired until late 1985 after the Beat The System Tour was finished. The vocals and some sound touch for Back To The Street was done Feb/Mar 1986 after John had done some dates with the band. John & Dino had a huge hand in the lyrical content and the vibe of the album; Bob wanted it that way to make sure that the band was fresh and ready for a new path.
As you all know that CITAS was not recorded until Oct 1985 which is weird because BTTS was basically recorded a few months before. I've always liked BTTS but always thought of it as a gap album or first step in the right direction because I never liked the sound on BTS and it still pains me to listen to it. I like the songs but just really don't like the sound of the album.
1 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:47 pm

It's been a very long time since I last heard Back to The Street. I really like it and clearly remember the songs but as a whole the recording is not really working for me. Though it is probably never going to happen, it would be really interesting to hear a re-recording of this album in which the guitar was more present, less keyboard sound, more piano, a more natural and organic tone. Some of the songs would really benefit from that
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:11 pm

Maybe CPR could take a crack at it!
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:22 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:11 pm
I very much doubt they are going to do it, but it would be interesting. I guess, however, that I am finding myself among a minority in this case and that there would be much more interest in them doing other stuff. However it would somehow strengthen the message, if that record really took them back to the street.
1 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:49 pm

curt wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:22 pm
Mountain Man wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:11 pm
I very much doubt they are going to do it, but it would be interesting. I guess, however, that I am finding myself among a minority in this case and that there would be much more interest in them doing other stuff. However it would somehow strengthen the message, if that record really took them back to the street.
Personally I'd prefer new songs but I'd like anything
0 x
'You've got no place to run!'

Progfan
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1981

Post by Progfan » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:20 pm

It could possibly benefit from a fresh mix. Would take far less time and money. That is assuming that the multitrack tapes are available.
1 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Rusty » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:33 am

BTTS is my favorite Schlitt era record. I think its perfect the way it is because it is a representation of the time in which it was recorded. As much as I love JL, I really did not like the "modern" production on CPR. BTTR was ok, but CPR was too much for me.
As far as the "Elefante sound" goes, I feel BTTS and TMW stand separate from the others sonically because theyvwere done befofe Pakaderm had the Eventide board. The first with the Eventide was OF. Big difference after that.
1 x

Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: No Doubt
Pethead since: 2019

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:15 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:33 am
BTTS is my favorite Schlitt era record. I think its perfect the way it is because it is a representation of the time in which it was recorded. As much as I love JL, I really did not like the "modern" production on CPR. BTTR was ok, but CPR was too much for me.
As far as the "Elefante sound" goes, I feel BTTS and TMW stand separate from the others sonically because theyvwere done befofe Pakaderm had the Eventide board. The first with the Eventide was OF. Big difference after that.
You're the first person to agree with me on that new stuff, at least as far as I know! :)
0 x
Before you try to stand, be sure you're on the land
-The Lilac Time, All For Love (And Love For All)