wildmanpetra
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: WUC
Pethead since: 1985

Guitarist Discussion

Post by wildmanpetra » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:38 pm

Hey All,
I wanted to start a thread specifically for guitarists where we can discuss things pertaining to guitar work by Petra and other bands, what guitars we currently play, questions and help regarding care and maintenance, Bob Hartman Guitars etc.
If you are a guitarist and a Petra fan- what do you play, are you in a band?

I’ve played for 38 years never got beyond amateur bands, teach my kids now and play when I can mostly as a hobby and love playing- and probably always will. Latest instrument is a 98 Les Paul- love it! Have never really owned a vintage instrument like this before- any advice on cleaning and maintenance would be appreciated!

Thanks!
3 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Re: Guitarist Discussion

Post by George Harrison » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:17 pm

wildmanpetra wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:38 pm
Hey All,
I wanted to start a thread specifically for guitarists where we can discuss things pertaining to guitar work by Petra and other bands, what guitars we currently play, questions and help regarding care and maintenance, Bob Hartman Guitars etc.
If you are a guitarist and a Petra fan- what do you play, are you in a band?

I’ve played for 38 years never got beyond amateur bands, teach my kids now and play when I can mostly as a hobby and love playing- and probably always will. Latest instrument is a 98 Les Paul- love it! Have never really owned a vintage instrument like this before- any advice on cleaning and maintenance would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I am a young amateur guitarist who is still learning. Only played a few years. Don't really play in a band although I do make music with a few friends. I still play a cheap beginner's guitar; the Yamaha Pacifica 112.
2 x
'You've got no place to run!'

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:05 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:17 pm
I am a young amateur guitarist who is still learning. Only played a few years. Don't really play in a band although I do make music with a few friends. I still play a cheap beginner's guitar; the Yamaha Pacifica 112.
I never tried a Yamaha Pacifica 112 but I have heard that they are quite good guitars. Are you satisfied with it? I own a few guitars and have owned some that I have worn out or sold. I mostly play strat and tele style guitars these days but I have also got a Les Paul and used to play that a lot. I use very few effects and play with a cleanish or mildly overdriven sound most of the time.

I have played for 25 years, nothing professional, a few bands here and there just for fun.
2 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:48 pm

curt wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:05 pm
George Harrison wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:17 pm
I never tried a Yamaha Pacifica 112 but I have heard that they are quite good guitars. Are you satisfied with it? I own a few guitars and have owned some that I have worn out or sold. I mostly play strat and tele style guitars these days but I have also got a Les Paul and used to play that a lot. I use very few effects and play with a cleanish or mildly overdriven sound most of the time.
It's a great guitar for the price, only $400 Canadian new. Quite beautiful and it is functional and although it is definitely not a premium guitar it's still very pleasant to play.
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:21 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:48 pm
It's a great guitar for the price, only $400 Canadian new. Quite beautiful and it is functional and although it is definitely not a premium guitar it's still very pleasant to play.
These days some guitars don't cost a lot though they are very, very good.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:00 pm

I have a Taylor 210 acoustic that I bought around 1998-99. Cost $700 at the time (a huge chunk of change for a high school kid working part-time at Kentucky Fried Chicken!). A comparable guitar today is in the $2000 range. It's a gorgeous guitar that has settled into a warm, mellow sound. There's not much that can beat a solid wood guitar. Laminate might be cheaper and easier to work with, but it doesn't age the same. I had to have it repaired recently when it slipped off my lap, hit the leg of a stool, and put a 2-foot split down the side. Clean break, though, so the repair shop was able to glue and lacquer it good as new. A $300 job, but still cheaper than a new guitar -- at least a good one.

I played in my church worship band for many years, but I never really became what I would consider a skilled guitarist. I'm good enough at what I know, but I don't know a lot. I definitely don't play as much as I used to, but I still try to pick up my guitar a couple of times a week.
2 x

wildmanpetra
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: WUC
Pethead since: 1985

Post by wildmanpetra » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:13 am

Great to hear what you guys play- as you know guitarists speak a language of their own... :lol:

What about amps? What amps and effects do you use?

I recently purchased the best amp I’ve ever had, Peavey VYPYR modeling amp.

I have been trying to match Bobs sound on Augustine Pears?

Anyone have any idea how to get that specific sound?

Brent- you may know?

Thanks!
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:09 pm

I use very few effects these days. A lot of the time I play clean with a Vox ac30 type of sound. When I use overdrive I go for pedals that recreate the sound of some of the classic old amps (fender, marshall and the like). I really like the point where the overdrive is there but you still have to work for it to get really rocking. I really like what you would call vintage style instruments. I don't chase the old versions or anything. It is just the sort of sound I like - but I by my instruments all new (which is often the cheaper way to go if you like vintage style instruments).
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:14 am

curt wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:09 pm
I really like the point where the overdrive is there but you still have to work for it to get really rocking.
AC/DC style! They don't use a lot of gain, they just play really, really hard.

Then on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have David Gilmour who drives his gear almost to the point of feedback, but it produces incredible sustain.
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 pm

I play softer than AC/DC but I agree with your description of them. I prefer single coils and they react a bit different.

I also agree with your description of Gilmour, but he is also able to get along with a rather cleanish sound and create the most beautiful tones. Always recognizable though his sounds and styles change quite a lot. With AC/DC it is different. They are easily recognizable because they always sound almost the same. I like the sound of both.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:48 am

curt wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 pm
With AC/DC it is different. They are easily recognizable because they always sound almost the same.
As Angus Young once joked, "AC/DC only ever made one album. We just released it a dozen different times."
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:48 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:48 am
curt wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 pm
With AC/DC it is different. They are easily recognizable because they always sound almost the same.
As Angus Young once joked, "AC/DC only ever made one album. We just released it a dozen different times."
Or when an interviewer claimed AC/DC had made X number of records that sounded exactly the same and Angus said he was wrong. Angus' reason for claiming the statement was wrong was that the interviewer had forgotten an album so the number X was one number too low.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am

Another great Angus quote when asked what it was like to be one of the best guitarists in the world:

"I'm not even the best guitarist in AC/DC."
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:55 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am
Another great Angus quote when asked what it was like to be one of the best guitarists in the world:

"I'm not even the best guitarist in AC/DC."
I would agree with him on that. I really like his playing and while admitting that it is a lot harder to play his stuff than you would initially think in my opinion there is too much "one trick horse" to his playing to really place him among the best guitarists in the world. You can be a truly great guitar player without being one of the best in the world. I would leave that space for others. But when it all comes down that is personal opinion to a very large extent.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri May 08, 2020 6:44 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:00 pm
(a huge chunk of change for a high school kid working part-time at Kentucky Fried Chicken!).
What is the grossest thing you witnessed at KFC?
0 x