New Petra Project

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: New Petra Project

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Found them on Discogs. Apparently the albums were called Back to the Rock "Live" (with the quotes), and Back to the Rock "Live" Expanded. According to the track listing, the "expanded" version also adds some of the talking from the band members that was missing from the first release.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:16 pm

The second DVD had tracks plus the mix live show tracks plus overdubs. The first DVD was not live.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:14 pm

Both albums are CDr productions and were only available for a very short time.

As far as I know, it's the same music. The second one is remastered and has 10 minutes of band chat. I don't think it was remixed or anything like that.
0 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Rusty » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:09 pm

George Harrison wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:48 pm
drake78 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm
I spoke with Mark for a while after the TBN taping and asked him how it felt to be back in the band. He said that ever since he left Petra, he always felt like he had sold his birthright. He was thrilled to be playing Petra songs again, and he seemed genuinely happy miming his way through the songs during that "concert." Greg's antics likely proved too much and he decided to bow out eventually.
/Mark was a great player, and his vocals were a welcome contribution. Wonder why he left./
Mark was fantastic as always, but I didn'nt appreciate that he didn't sing backing on the studio BTTR
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:47 pm

p-freak wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:14 pm
Both albums are CDr productions and were only available for a very short time.

As far as I know, it's the same music. The second one is remastered and has 10 minutes of band chat. I don't think it was remixed or anything like that.
Does anybody have both versions of the album so they can do a comparison? I distinctly recall people saying at the time that each album featured a different mix.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:21 pm

According to JL, they fixed stuff on the second.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:31 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:47 pm
Does anybody have both versions of the album so they can do a comparison? I distinctly recall people saying at the time that each album featured a different mix.
I have both, but no clue as to how to do a comparison :-(
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:19 am

p-freak wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:31 am
Mountain Man wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:47 pm
I have both, but no clue as to how to do a comparison :-(
I just meant listen to songs from one and then those sames songs on the other. Should be pretty obvious, I would think, if one is using the studio backing tracks, and one is live instruments, but perhaps it depends on how good your ear is.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:34 am

Both of them have the same backing tracks (the album as recorded at Johns studio). They played to the tracks when the video was shot and then John went back and mixed in live parts, fixed things. His words.

The broadcast mix WAS the album.
0 x

drake78
Pethead
Pethead

Post by drake78 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Yes, I should have more specifically said "played over" rather than mimed when describing the TBN taping. My point was that it wasn't a typical "live" Petra concert like they played during the rest of their shows. It definitely felt weird when they started More Power to Ya and you hear acoustic guitar while Bob is holding an electric, lol.
3 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:37 pm

drake78 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:25 pm
[...] It definitely felt weird when they started More Power to Ya and you hear acoustic guitar while Bob is holding an electric, lol.
:lol:
3 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:49 pm

What about layered rhythm guitar and solos coming from one pair of hands and one guitar or stacks of GVX only backing vocals? The sad thing is, there is a generation of kids accepting fakery as the norm. They wouldn't know a real live show if it bit them.
2 x

drake78
Pethead
Pethead

Post by drake78 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:18 pm

brent wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:49 pm
What about layered rhythm guitar and solos coming from one pair of hands and one guitar or stacks of GVX only backing vocals? The sad thing is, there is a generation of kids accepting fakery as the norm. They wouldn't know a real live show if it bit them.
For real. It's shocking what people will believe is "live" these days. Even veteran bands get lazy and rely far too much on backing tracks for their live shows. I saw Duran Duran and U2 (both stadium venues) not that far apart a few summers ago, and both utilized far too many tracks than either had any excuse to with that many seasoned musicians. Duran had two female backing vocalists, yet somehow they sounded suspiciously just like Simon, lol. And U2 had keyboard parts (no keyboard player to be seen) and multiple guitar parts (but just The Edge on stage) and piped in backing vocals. I would trade the "just like the record" sound for a legit raw live performance any day. Incidentally, I saw Honeytree in Ft. Wayne right before COVID-19 became widespread in the U.S., and there were absolutely no backing tracks :)
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:58 pm

Part of it is that there has been so much studio "magic" baked into music for years that I'm not sure a band would even be recognizable if they did play live. But that's not an entirely new thing. When making Beach Boys records, Brian Wilson would have as many as 50 instruments on a single song and doubled and tripled everything, including vocals, to achieve a "big" sound. As a result, their live concerts sounded nothing like the records, but at least they were actually playing what the audience was hearing.
1 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:29 am

Some bands bring one or more additional players when they are playing live. I think that is the way to go if, for instance, you cannot go without the extra guitar, the keyboards or whatever. The other stuff is just not really honest in any way.

The sing a long concerts by John Schlitt and Greg X Volz er different since they don't even pretend the instruments are live. However, I would rather stay at home than to go and watch it.
0 x