1982 - Petra Live in Atlanta

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

1982 - Petra Live in Atlanta

Post by pmal » Sun May 10, 2020 9:08 pm

From @Jym Dingler, former drummer of Petra in the 70s, posted this clip, along with another of Angel of Light, on the Jesus Music Group. This is as rare and as powerful as it gets! Here are his notes:

Petra in Atlanta, 3 May 1982: The Medley.
This clip was salvaged from an ancient VHS backup from 3/4” U-Matic broadcast master, and is part of a much-longer concert. Restoration of the entire event from 3/4” U-Matic is pending the end of California’s sheltering-in-place.

Songs: Come And Join Us, I’m Thankful, Magic Mirror, Greg versus Bob, Backsliding Blues, God Gave Rock ’n’ Roll To You

Petra lineup: Bob Hartman (guitars/vocals), Greg X. Volz (lead vocals/guitar), Mark Kelly (bass/vocals), John Slick (keys/vocals), Louie Weaver (drums)

3 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Re: 1982 - Petra Live in Atlanta

Post by pmal » Sun May 10, 2020 9:09 pm

Angel of Light from the same concert!

4 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Tue May 12, 2020 11:40 am

These videos are a rare glimpse into the early set list of Petra. When John Slick was an active contributor to this forum a few years back, I asked him a question regarding whether the band played selections off their non-Jonathan David Brown produced era. For whatever reason, he never answered me. The first video satisfied that question. Thank you for posting!

By the way, Greg's vocal capabilities are second to none!
1 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue May 12, 2020 1:38 pm

And now we have Greg Volz clucking like a chicken... :lol:
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Fri May 15, 2020 5:40 pm

That was awesome, the band had good chemistry during this time.
0 x

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world

Post by Rusty » Sat May 16, 2020 5:17 am

Great missing peice of history, actually pro-shot. Would love to see more of this! Once again amazed by the great playing and singing of Mark.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sat May 16, 2020 8:58 am

Looking at this and listening to the Audio from the 1979 concert where Greg X is singing and playing bass at the same time shows me how integral was Greg to the survival and success of Petra. If Greg wouldn't have stuck with Bob Petra would have disappeared by 1981. Greg even played guitar live and sang with Phil Keaggy Band in 1980. Says a lot about his musicianship. I love the chemistry of this Classic lineup. The funny rivalry on stage was continued by the Dream Team live during I Will Call Upon the Lord performances for years. It saddens me that some have a hostile attitude towards Greg X sometimes in the Zone, like when someone said that Ronny quit CPR because he could not deal with Greg X, which i dont understand where that person got that info, or even have to say things like that to pur down a brother in Christ. Ronny was getting married and has been involved in missions out of the USA if you follow him. Thats the reason he left CPR. Again, stop bashing Greg X, he is the Person God used to get Petra going, the partner Bob needed to create the Legend. In other words. If John would have come straight from Head East in 1981 to do Never Say Die it wouldn't have been the same.
1 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Rusty
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this world

Post by Rusty » Sat May 16, 2020 3:22 pm

fcollazo wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:58 am
Looking at this and listening to the Audio from the 1979 cncert where Greg X is singing and playing bass at the same time shows me how integral was Greg to the survival and success of Petra. If Greg wouldn't have stuck with Bob Petra would have disappeared by 1981. Greg even played guitar live and sang with Phil Keaggy Band in 1980. Says a lot about his musicianship. I love the chemistry of this Classic lineup. The funny rivalry on stage was continued by the Dream Team live during I Will Call Upon the Lord performances for years. It saddens me that some have a hostile attitude towards Greg X sometimes in the Zone, like when someone said that Ronny quit CPR because he could not deal with Greg X, which i dont understand where that person got that info, or even have to say things like that to pur down a brother in Christ. Ronny was getting married and has been involved in missions out of the USA if you follow him. Thats the reason he left CPR. Again, stop bashing Greg X, he is the Person God used to get Petra going, the partner Bob needed to create the Legend. In other words. If John would have come straight from Head East in 1981 to do Never Say Die it wouldn't have been the same.
[/quoe]
Agree 100% on every point you made
1 x

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
Founding or Official Member of Petra
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Sat May 16, 2020 10:03 pm

I had to look at different sections of the video many times, to confirm who was playing keyboards. I didn't remember ever playing most of the first few songs. Nice to see this old stuff, and rare that it was so well recorded, and big props to Kim Hartman FOH engineer for the mix. Bob was a fantastic rock guitarist.
4 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sat May 16, 2020 10:57 pm

Wow. Welcome back John Slick. You played amazing all these early songs, bringing your own Hammond touch. I also consider you an architect of the Complete Petra sound and experience. It wasn't until you joined for Never Say Die that we got the complete package and production that was later on expected from a Petra record and live shows. Thank you so much for your years of service. I feel very fortunate to have you here and being able to interact with one of my musical heroes.
1 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sun May 17, 2020 2:00 pm

fcollazo wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:58 am
Looking at this and listening to the Audio from the 1979 concert where Greg X is singing and playing bass at the same time shows me how integral was Greg to the survival and success of Petra. If Greg wouldn't have stuck with Bob Petra would have disappeared by 1981. Greg even played guitar live and sang with Phil Keaggy Band in 1980. Says a lot about his musicianship.
I think Greg was a passable guitarist at best. Most of the recordings I've seen where he has a guitar in his hands, it's mostly just a prop for one or two songs, and he strums it only occasionally. In the "Angel of Light" clip posted above, he even flips the guitar around so it's on his back for half the song. I don't know what he contributed to the Phil Keaggy show, but I suspect it was more vocal than instrumental. If you watch him play, he just doesn't look like someone who is comfortable with a guitar in his hands.
1 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sun May 17, 2020 3:09 pm

Mountain Man. I have played Guitar in many bands, at my church and all around since 1986. That is my instrument. Greg is playing correctly and confidently, and the right chords for Angel of Light, even the minor G chord on the chorus, while singing. He is very capable, just listen to what he does on the 1979 concert audio on bass. Your comments come from ignorance of the instruments. Many singers play guitar and put it on their side on several occasions during songs. If you want to get some education just go to Phil Keaggy's site and download the concerts from 1980. There Greg is playing with non other than Phil, Doug Pinnick and Jerry Gaskill from Kings X. If you don't know who King's X is, google it, and you will see that they are the Musician's band, admired by the pros. Just playing beside Jerry, Doug and Phil Keaggy, the best guitar virtuoso Christain Music ever heard gives you more than enough cred. I invite to try even try to play Yaweh Love right. They did a whole tour together for a couple of years. They even played Praise Ye The Lord, and Greg even does a couple of impressive Guitar solos.
Check it out before putting down Greg any further.
1 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun May 17, 2020 6:08 pm

fcollazo wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:09 pm
Mountain Man. I have played Guitar in many bands, at my church and all around since 1986. That is my instrument. Greg is playing correctly and confidently, and the right chords for Angel of Light, even the minor G chord on the chorus, while singing. He is very capable, just listen to what he does on the 1979 concert audio on bass. Your comments come from ignorance of the instruments. Many singers play guitar and put it on their side on several occasions during songs. If you want to get some education just go to Phil Keaggy's site and download the concerts from 1980. There Greg is playing with non other than Phil, Doug Pinnick and Jerry Gaskill from Kings X. If you don't know who King's X is, google it, and you will see that they are the Musician's band, admired by the pros. Just playing beside Jerry, Doug and Phil Keaggy, the best guitar virtuoso Christain Music ever heard gives you more than enough cred. I invite to try even try to play Yaweh Love right. They did a whole tour together for a couple of years. They even played Praise Ye The Lord, and Greg even does a couple of impressive Guitar solos.
Check it out before putting down Greg any further.

Its weird that a few posts above your giving your opinion on some around here that are hostel towards GXV and you say you don't understand on how someone can put down a brother in Christ yet in this post you call a brother in Christ ignorant towards the instruments and you most likely know less of him(Mountain Man) than some around know of the inside knowledge of the inter workings of Petra. Which one would you like to be the pot or the kettle?
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sun May 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Telling someone they are ignorant on a subject does equal calling them an ignorant person. I am ignorant on many subjects, for example computer programming. I would never try to call out mistakes on someone's software algorithms as I am not versed on their craft. So that has nothing to do with putting people down. On the other hand the comments on Greg's musical abilities are misguided at best, as to be able to perform at the proffessional level Greg has, with the caliber of musicians he has played with, and plenty of recorded evidence available, with his bass and guitar playing plus singing, does not portray a passable musician.
0 x

George Harrison
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 2017

Post by George Harrison » Sun May 17, 2020 11:36 pm

Anyway guys we should all try to remain civil in our conversations. Greg and John are both great singers and while some might prefer one to the other we don't want to (even accidentally) cause any animosity between us. Sometimes the meaning of online comments sound harsher than indented due to the fact it's impossible to determine what tone they were written in, unlike an in-person conversation, where one can read body language
1 x
'You've got no place to run!'