Greg on Coloring Song

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Greg on Coloring Song

Post by executioner » Fri May 22, 2020 4:51 pm

Bob actually talks about it in the More Power To Ya devotional on how "Killing My Old Man" was originally recorded for Come & Join Us but was dropped because of the label and was rerecorded later for NSD. I know "The Coloring Song" was originally done by the group GXV was in in the 70's.
1 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm

executioner wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:51 pm
Bob actually talks about it in the More Power To Ya devotional on how "Killing My Old Man" was originally recorded for Come & Join Us but was dropped because of the label and was rerecorded later for NSD. I know "The Coloring Song" was originally done by the group GXV was in in the 70's.
Right. But NSD was entirely new recordings.
Now everyone stop bitching about it already. It's not important.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Fri May 22, 2020 6:40 pm

jmslick wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm
executioner wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:51 pm
Right. But NSD was entirely new recordings.
Now everyone stop bitching about it already. It's not important.
This is what we do, man, we bicker and squabble over the little things. Just be happy we're not talking politics. :lol:
1 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 am

Killing My Old Man was recorded for Come And Join Us. It even made it to the test pressing, but as has been said before was ditched by label executives (including Paul Baker) who were afraid of the song being misunderstood. Even the band's request to then record a live version with an intro speech didn't make it. Normally, a test pressing is made in very limited quantities, say 5-10 max. These were given to label executives and perhaps band members. Some of them might still have it in a box in the garage, or some of them might have been lost. It's possible that one or two copies left the hands of the original owners, so they might pop up in a bargain bin in a second hand record store, but since there's usually hardly anything written on a test pressing, you might never know which album it is until you spin in. I have test pressings for Beat The System, This Means War!, and even Volz' Xavier album, but I've never seen a Come And Join Us test pressing.

If you have a Come And Join Us vinyl, you can check the etchings in the matrix of side two and see that the catalogue number is followed by -RE. This means that side 2 was recut from the original test pressing, so Killing My Old Man would have been on side 2. The only other Petra album that has been recut after the test pressing phase is Captured In Time And Space (I don't remember which side), but I have no idea what was altered. It could have been just a cutting glitch that needed fixing, rather than a ditched track/piece of a track/bit of talking.
2 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat May 23, 2020 11:55 am

p-freak wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 am
Killing My Old Man was recorded for Come And Join Us. It even made it to the test pressing, but as has been said before was ditched by label executives (including Paul Baker) who were afraid of the song being misunderstood. Even the band's request to then record a live version with an intro speech didn't make it. Normally, a test pressing is made in very limited quantities, say 5-10 max. These were given to label executives and perhaps band members. Some of them might still have it in a box in the garage, or some of them might have been lost. It's possible that one or two copies left the hands of the original owners, so they might pop up in a bargain bin in a second hand record store, but since there's usually hardly anything written on a test pressing, you might never know which album it is until you spin in. I have test pressings for Beat The System, This Means War!, and even Volz' Xavier album, but I've never seen a Come And Join Us test pressing.

If you have a Come And Join Us vinyl, you can check the etchings in the matrix of side two and see that the catalogue number is followed by -RE. This means that side 2 was recut from the original test pressing, so Killing My Old Man would have been on side 2. The only other Petra album that has been recut after the test pressing phase is Captured In Time And Space (I don't remember which side), but I have no idea what was altered. It could have been just a cutting glitch that needed fixing, rather than a ditched track/piece of a track/bit of talking.
I wonder who sang vocals on the original version since GXV was only in the band part time. I really didn't mean to get John Slick all upset, My info comes from people that I trust and have inter knowledge of the band at the time and one of them is a life long friend of Bob's, and I would not put anything on here that I didn't truly believe was 100% correct.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat May 23, 2020 12:04 pm

executioner wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:55 am
I wonder who sang vocals on the original version since GXV was only in the band part time.
GXV did.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sat May 23, 2020 7:13 pm

p-freak wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 am
The only other Petra album that has been recut after the test pressing phase is Captured In Time And Space (I don't remember which side), but I have no idea what was altered. It could have been just a cutting glitch that needed fixing, rather than a ditched track/piece of a track/bit of talking.
I've mentioned elsewhere that Captured is the one oddity in the Petra catalog because there are four different cuts of the album for vinyl, cassette, CD, and VHS. It's the one album I really wish they would re-release as a super-deluxe double CD containing the full concert, but I wonder if the master tapes even still exist?
0 x

jmslick
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Sat May 23, 2020 7:27 pm

executioner wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:55 am
I really didn't mean to get John Slick all upset, My info comes from people that I trust and have inter knowledge of the band at the time and one of them is a life long friend of Bob's, and I would not put anything on here that I didn't truly believe was 100% correct.
No one's "all upset."
But, I think I stand corrected... or something... you know... "the thing"... and stuff like that and where's my basement door?

It seems that Father Bother was initially on Whiter Than, then same recording released on NSD. So we actually did not record ALL the NSD tracks at once.

I'm old; I don't remember things correctly.
1 x