The Jesus Music movie trailer

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Post Reply
John Boy
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 pm
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1983
x 11

The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by John Boy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsrrgSoForE

I was hoping someone else would have touched on this by now. How much credit will the earliest pioneers of CCM get? Without Petra, there would be no Newsboys, Skillet, Stryper, etc. I feel like they'll get "the shaft" just like with the CCM anniversary special a few years ago. Petra had to cut the second verse and chorus out of "I Am on the Rock" while others got to perform full-length songs (to the best of my knowledge) and even perform more than once.
1 x

User avatar
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 2523
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:17 am
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987
Location: USA
x 72

Re: The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by Dan » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:52 pm

Only artists with a soft message, or have crossed over to secular are in it. Skip.
0 x

Greg
Pethead
Pethead
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:28 am
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1972

Re: The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by Greg » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:29 am

My thoughts exactly.
0 x

User avatar
rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 960
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991
Location: Houston
x 18

Re: The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by rexreed » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:42 pm

Stryper has repeatedly stated they were not Petra listeners. They did not come up through the ccm labels, or venues. Instead they took the more standard approach and their biggest influence is probably Van Halen. Maybe some Boston or Thin Lizzy, but certainly not Petra. Heck, they still pretty much play in mainstream venues and I think they are on a non ccm label.
2 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4266
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am
x 114

Re: The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by brent » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:31 pm

John Boy wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:48 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsrrgSoForE

I was hoping someone else would have touched on this by now. How much credit will the earliest pioneers of CCM get? Without Petra, there would be no Newsboys, Skillet, Stryper, etc. I feel like they'll get "the shaft" just like with the CCM anniversary special a few years ago. Petra had to cut the second verse and chorus out of "I Am on the Rock" while others got to perform full-length songs (to the best of my knowledge) and even perform more than once.
Nah. Read Mike Sweet's book. They didn't get or like CCM. That wasn't for them.

I wasn't there, but what was on the DVD was kind of rough. What they did was enough. I watched it "live", but I can't recall if it was truly live or if they were just streaming the pre-edited content. So, I can't recall if the song was botched and edited down.
1 x

User avatar
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 1307
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:11 pm
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983
x 206

Re: The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:59 am

rexreed wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:42 pm
Stryper has repeatedly stated they were not Petra listeners. They did not come up through the ccm labels, or venues. Instead they took the more standard approach and their biggest influence is probably Van Halen. Maybe some Boston or Thin Lizzy, but certainly not Petra. Heck, they still pretty much play in mainstream venues and I think they are on a non ccm label.
Read an interview with Michael Sweet years ago who said he got the idea for Stryper when he was at a Van Halen concert and said to himself, "Why can't there be a Christian group that rocks like this?" He also said in one of his recent YouTube videos that he still uses what he called "Van Halen tuning" on his guitar, which I think is just drop D tuning.
1 x

User avatar
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 2523
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:17 am
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987
Location: USA
x 72

Re: The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:06 pm

There is no way that there can be a Jesus music movie without Larry Norman, Petra (Volz era), Randy Stonehill and a bunch of other hippies that came out of the that late 60's class. These were the people that broke the doors down... not DC Talk, Michael W Smith...
2 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4266
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am
x 114

Re: The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by brent » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:41 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:59 am
rexreed wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:42 pm
Stryper has repeatedly stated they were not Petra listeners. They did not come up through the ccm labels, or venues. Instead they took the more standard approach and their biggest influence is probably Van Halen. Maybe some Boston or Thin Lizzy, but certainly not Petra. Heck, they still pretty much play in mainstream venues and I think they are on a non ccm label.
Read an interview with Michael Sweet years ago who said he got the idea for Stryper when he was at a Van Halen concert and said to himself, "Why can't there be a Christian group that rocks like this?" He also said in one of his recent YouTube videos that he still uses what he called "Van Halen tuning" on his guitar, which I think is just drop D tuning.
Yeah, he tuned down a half step and then went drop D other times. He tuned to himself. Everyone had to tune to him. Many times he would just pick up the guitar, tune it and then go. He had it down. He was in tune just about everywhere that way. There are some interviews about this.
1 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4266
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am
x 114

Re: The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by brent » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:41 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:59 am
rexreed wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:42 pm
Stryper has repeatedly stated they were not Petra listeners. They did not come up through the ccm labels, or venues. Instead they took the more standard approach and their biggest influence is probably Van Halen. Maybe some Boston or Thin Lizzy, but certainly not Petra. Heck, they still pretty much play in mainstream venues and I think they are on a non ccm label.
Read an interview with Michael Sweet years ago who said he got the idea for Stryper when he was at a Van Halen concert and said to himself, "Why can't there be a Christian group that rocks like this?" He also said in one of his recent YouTube videos that he still uses what he called "Van Halen tuning" on his guitar, which I think is just drop D tuning.
Yeah, he tuned down a half step and then went drop D other times. He tuned to himself. Everyone had to tune to him. Many times he would just pick up the guitar, tune it and then go. He had it down. He was in tune just about everywhere that way. There are some interviews about this.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 4266
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am
x 114

Re: The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by brent » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:41 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:59 am
rexreed wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:42 pm
Stryper has repeatedly stated they were not Petra listeners. They did not come up through the ccm labels, or venues. Instead they took the more standard approach and their biggest influence is probably Van Halen. Maybe some Boston or Thin Lizzy, but certainly not Petra. Heck, they still pretty much play in mainstream venues and I think they are on a non ccm label.
Read an interview with Michael Sweet years ago who said he got the idea for Stryper when he was at a Van Halen concert and said to himself, "Why can't there be a Christian group that rocks like this?" He also said in one of his recent YouTube videos that he still uses what he called "Van Halen tuning" on his guitar, which I think is just drop D tuning.
Yeah, he tuned down a half step and then went drop D other times. He tuned to himself. Everyone had to tune to him. Many times he would just pick up the guitar, tune it and then go. He had it down. He was in tune just about everywhere that way. There are some interviews about this.
0 x

User avatar
Diehardpetrafan:)
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:16 pm
#1 Album: Back to the street
Location: Minnesota
x 335
Contact:

Re: The Jesus Music movie trailer

Post by Diehardpetrafan:) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:16 am

Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:06 pm
There is no way that there can be a Jesus music movie without Larry Norman, Petra (Volz era), Randy Stonehill and a bunch of other hippies that came out of the that late 60's class. These were the people that broke the doors down... not DC Talk, Michael W Smith...
Exactly 😆
1 x
I'm out with lanterns, looking for myself - Emily Dickinson

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests