Tait + Newsboys

A place for Petra fans to discuss other topics
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:55 am

At first I didn't know what you were talking about, but apparently Michael Tait is replacing Peter Furler as lead singer. I think it might work. Tait has been out of the public eye for a long, long time (at least out of my public eye...) and I think he can take on the job.

I was just looking at Jesusfreakhideout's description of the Newsboys' career, but they're almost close to what Petra has done. They have more gold records, but less overall sales. They don't have any Grammy's but probably more Dove Awards. So they're doing pretty well. I lost track of them after Thrive, when they (sadly) joined the ever-popular worship bandwagon...
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:37 am

Tait hasn't been out of the public eye that long. Not any longer than Kevin Max, and he's putting out a new album.

This will actually be the Newsboys third lead singer, since John James was the first. The last album they did that really interested me was Take Me To Your Leader. They've had a few songs since then that have been decent, but no whole albums. I think the switch to Tait is very odd and I don't think it'll work, especially since Peter Furler will still be doing vocals on the albums and Tait will be the touring lead singer.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Taito

Post by gman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:38 am

I found it a little odd. Personally, I'd like to see it be short-lived, just to keep the band going, and then have Peter return to the road, or get someone else in there like Paul Colman. Peter has made a career out of reinventing the wheel with this band, but I have trouble seeing them continuing to be successful if they drift too far from their Aussie bread and butter.

GMan
0 x

Mexican Spud
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mexican Spud » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Well John James and Peter both shared singing duties. When John left after Take To You Leader tour. Peter went full time as the lead singer with Phil doing a couple of songs on Step Up To The Microphone CD
0 x
[url=http://www.therightplace.bz/][img]border="0"%20width="577"%20height="109"src="http://www.therightplace.bz/images/downloads/Banners/TheRightPlace_577X109.gif"[/img][/url]

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:01 pm

I have been following Kevin Max with more interest than Tait. And wasn't Tait's last album was from 2003? Since then Kevin Max has released four albums / EPs (The Imposter, O Holy Night, The Blood, Crashing Gates EP) and he's now preparing a full album release incorporating the Crashing Gates EP.

Anyway, the lead singer change in Petra was totally different because Schlitt was quite unknown in CCM circles. And it doesn't seem like Furler is leaving to produce his own records. It might equate more to Hartman leaving the road, because both Furler and Hartman were the 'brains' of the band.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:19 pm

p-freak wrote:I have been following Kevin Max with more interest than Tait. And wasn't Tait's last album was from 2003? Since then Kevin Max has released four albums / EPs (The Imposter, O Holy Night, The Blood, Crashing Gates EP) and he's now preparing a full album release incorporating the Crashing Gates EP.

Anyway, the lead singer change in Petra was totally different because Schlitt was quite unknown in CCM circles. And it doesn't seem like Furler is leaving to produce his own records. It might equate more to Hartman leaving the road, because both Furler and Hartman were the 'brains' of the band.
Newboys is Peter's baby. He writes all the songs. This definitely like Bob leaving the road. We'll see how long it lasts.

GMan
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:56 am

Mexican Spud wrote:Well John James and Peter both shared singing duties. When John left after Take To You Leader tour. Peter went full time as the lead singer with Phil doing a couple of songs on Step Up To The Microphone CD
They only started shared singing duties starting on Take Me To Your Leader.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:12 am

My interest in the Newsboys has been regenerated. I had been looking forward to Tait's next album (to see how he does a Stevie Wonder/Lenny Kravitz vibe), but I think he's got a Chinese Democracy thing going. I'm at least curious now.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

booze noise

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:32 am

I just hope their upcoming album sounds a lot better than their last three. The fact that someone from Superchick produced the album gets me a little worried though.

Adoration, Devotion and Go were nothing but boring worship music and girlie pop. The 'boys lost the rock vibe they once had. And it seems they forgot their promise to "boycott dumb lyrics as well."

Okay, that's enough bashing for now.
0 x
[size=150]Ñ

yamasaaaki har har
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

â

Post by yamasaaaki har har » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:35 am

Oh gosh I should probably change my avatar photo. That was taken like four years ago. The problem is I totally forgot how to do that.
0 x
[size=150]Ñ